Our Quality Assistant, Alvira (@alvira_kanusa) has been brewing it up. Have a look at his favorite recipe of this month!
Chosen lot, flavor notes:
Café Santa Maria
Orange, citrus, caramel, honey, clean aftertaste, smooth body.
This is the Quality 2 from Santa Maria Buying Station in Northern Huila. Although total lot consists out of many smallholders, each small lot has been cupped throughly to create consistency. The aim is a 83 scoring lot in Colombia, and it often picks up 1,0 point resting on the voyage.
Into the beans
- Moisture: 9,5%
- Density: 852 g/l
- Harvest: July 2019
- Roasting Machine: Ikawa V2
- Roast profile: ‘CL19057 Santa Maria’ (Beans at 17 °C, 17% after FC)
“Slightly higher charge temperature create more balance between the citric acidity and overall smooth body”
- Agtron: 103,4 (Extremely Light, or at least that is what the machine says!)
- Grind size: 7,7 on Malhkonig EK 43 (arbitrary of course!)
- Water temperature: 93-94 °C
- Coffee weight: 15 grams
- Ratio: 1:18,2 (273 ml)
- Water specifications: 114 ppm / 6,3 PH
- Brew time: 4:00 min.
- 1st 25gr bloom for 45 seconds
- 2nd (at 45s) circular pour of 115 gr of water
- 3rd (1 min 20s) circular pour until 215 gr
- 4th (2 min 20s) center pour until 273 gr
- 5th finish at 4:00 min.
- TDS: 1,40
- Extraction: 21%